Friday, September 20, 2024

Final Days

Sunday morning began with a 180 miles (290km) three hour journey south to The Royal Cornwall Showground to attend the Kernow Yarn and Fibre Festival. 

The journey passed through many familiar sounding places, including Bridestowe, Bridgwater, Exeter, Launceston, Weymouth and Sidmouth. 

I discovered there wasn't much English wool available at the festival but I did find a couple of unique skeins. I was able to attend a free workshop on making Yorkshire and Devon buttons. It was really interesting and we got to keep the kit we used, so I'll easily be able to make more. 


Monday morning began with a visit to downtown Launceston! Whilst much smaller than Launceston Tasmania it has the essentials of all British town centres, Boots Pharmacy, a charity shop, Costa coffee shop, Co-op or Tesco Express supermarket and Castle ruins. 

Town Hall

They have a castle where the shop assistant told me she'd met many people from Launceston Tasmania and is saving up to come to Tasmania as a result.


Town square.

I then headed to Devon where it seemed appropriate to have a Devonshire Tea, or Cream Tea as the locals say. Whilst the presentation wasn't great, these were definitely the best scones I've had in a long time and I now love clotted cream.


The location in Exmoor National Park was lovely.

I was in Devon for four nights at a Christian Creative Arts retreat, at Lee Abbey. While it was initially a little more arty than I expected, by the second day I found the others in the group who like me are more crafty than arty and we had fun playing with the art materials. The focus of the retreat was on how images are used throughout the Bible to help us remember what is being taught. My clay plaque was made when everyone else made a bowl. I decided there was no chance of my bowl making it unbroken to Tasmania. 


Lee Abbey Estate is 300 acres in the midst of the national park, a stunning location. 





An underground chapel at the beach. 



The octagonal room, once the music room of the house is now the main meeting room. 

It was also a fun time of meeting many different people as there was concurrently a Friends of Lee Abbey retreat happening, that we shared all meals and some activities with. There were lots of questions about the length of my holiday and a general agreement Australians are very lucky to have long service leave.  Though one person was very concerned I might not have a job to go back to, as my school might have decided they don't need me! I assured her that they have to have me back and it's a perfectly normal thing to do.

Finding out about minor food differences at meal times became a frequent meal time question. Other participants were amazed I'd never had baked beans on a jacket potato (they thought bacon, cheese and sour cream a much better idea) or a Yorkshire pudding. I also discovered not only do chocolate Freddo Frogs taste different, they're also a different shape, despite the packaging being the same. I also had to try a flapjack at the cafe after admitting of never having even heard of them. It was okay but I'm in no rush to make one, unlike clotted cream.

Friday was a big drive back to Birmingham airport. I drove down the steepest road in England, Polark Hill and decided they must not have many hills. I certainly understand all about delays on the M5 now though. The four hour drive became five hours due to the many times traffic was close to a standstill, often for no apparent reason. I was glad I had given myself double the time needed. No for the long trip home.

No comments:

Post a Comment