Tuesday, July 9, 2024

St Patrick's Trail

The forecast for today turned out to be true, lots of rain. So I decided to take the scenic route to Belfast, via Downpatrick. I saw lots of greenery, tractors and a few cows.


To my disappointment there were no signs when arriving into Northern Ireland. Instead Google maps suddenly started talking to me in miles and yards and then I saw a Give Way sign instead of a Yield sign and realised I must be in Northern Ireland. 

I followed St Patrick's Trail for a while but didn't see any pilgrims walking it, not that I would blame them for having a rest day today.


My goal was to visit the St Patrick's Educational Centre, which was quite interesting.






These pigs went with a story of St Patrick praying for food on his journey from Ireland back to England and were very cleverly made.


When I came out of the centre the rain had eased so I decided to walk up the hill to the cathedral, to see the grave of St Patrick. Of course it poured for most of the walk but I figured it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so some rain shouldn't stop me?



No comments:

Post a Comment