Saturday, February 7, 2015

Cycle Soweto

Today I learnt so much my jet lagged brain is exhausted! Starting with a brief tour of Johannesburg my day tour (that had nobody else on it!) then headed to Soweto. Where I joined a two hour cycling tour, a business started by a 15 year old who now as a 25 year old has quite a business empire and drives a brand new Landrover

I learnt Soweto (South Western Township) is a town of greatly contrasting homes, not just the shacks I had imagined. I ate some yummy food and drank some gross beer but also discovered Black Label beer is tasty. I cycled down the only street in the world that is home to two Nobel Peace Award recipients and visited Mandela's home. After a yummy lunch of "bunny", stew served in a bowl of bread, I then headed to the Apartheid Museum. It was incredibly interesting, I had no idea the range of people involved in the movement.


The concept of changing your race is one I can't imagine but apparently members of the one family were sometimes classified differently and then couldn't live together.


Nelson Mandela's house.


A very cosy and warm restaurant in Soweto.


Beef cheek and pap (made from maize).








What used to be the men's hostel part of town.


The fancy part of Soweto, some amazing houses, apparently some have swimming pools in their back yards.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment