Tuesday, February 17, 2015

First Days

I've had a few questions about how I'm settling into life in Yei and what it is like here, so I thought I'd share some answers with everyone. It is so hard to explain, as life here is so different to life at home.

My accommodation is much, much better than I expected. I'm very lucky to be staying in the room of one of the nurses while she is on leave for a fortnight. Not only is it a great space but it means I'm sharing the house with my friend Nat who is also visiting from Launceston and two amazing nurses (they're truly incredible women!). They've all been so welcoming and are making my adjustment so much easier. And sharing with Nat has meant we can easily work together on projects to support the children. It also means I'm staying right next door to my friends the Pooles, which is pretty special and very convenient. :-)

We are spoilt in so many ways, a lady to wash our clothes each day, cooks to cook for us, electricity for fans and fridges and WiFi! Apparently we even have hot water for two hours each evening. I've never contemplated using it as I'm really enjoying a cold shower before bed to cool down and clean my very dirty feet.

Everyone here continues to amaze me. They have all been so welcoming and answer my never ending stream of questions and understand when I don't know where things are on campus. The simple dedication of the missionary staff and their focus and support for the local people is incredible. As are the kids and the way they look after themselves and each other. Awe and wonder is a phrase that comes to mind often.

Already I've had some amazing experiences. They are so hard to explain as the culture and context are so different. But this afternoon was truly a beautiful teaching moment. Linda facilitated me working with some of the hospital cleaners, teaching them to write their names. Such a basic skill that we take for granted. Their sheer joy at writing their name was beautiful to see. I've promised them we'll keep working on it again tomorrow. I'm hoping to make it a regular part of my day and teach them some other literacy and numeracy skills.

I'm gradually working out where and how I can be useful around the place :-)





Hospital cleaners practising writing their names.


Sunset tonight
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment