Thursday, February 12, 2015

Random Johannesburg Bits

Did a walking tour of Johannesburg this morning, I was the only one on it but also had an Intrepid manager as it was a new itinerary. I was disappointed my driver of the last five days, Sam didn't end up coming on it. He and another guide were meant to be trained in the new route but didn't end up coming due to a van issue. I wasn't able to take many photos due to the nature of the areas we visited, some of the poorest in the city. Such a contrast to my afternoon spent at Sandton Mall, part of the richest square mile in Africa. It really emphasised the inequalities of South Africa, that still exist despite yesterday being 25 years since Mandela was released from prison.


Loved this sticker in the taxi van we caught. Could never have caught a taxi van by myself, they aren't labeled as to where they are going. Instead drivers and passengers use a system of hand signals to indicate where they're going.


The small words describe this as the Department of Social Development, next door to a derelict building...


I'd forgotten Ghandi practised law in Johannesburg for 14 years before turning to India. Another statute I saw earlier in the week but couldn't photograph was of George Harrison the Australian gold prospector who first discovered gold in South Africa.

Tomorrow I'm off to Uganda, then into Yei, South Sudan on Saturday morning.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment