Monday, May 18, 2015

A Day on the Nile

You know it's a good day when you have read an entire novel by 2pm. The sun deck of the cruise ship is definitely a great place to read, as is my room. We don't have balconies instead we have sliding doors for windows, so it is lovely to sit listening to the water and watching the world go by, especially with a glass of Egyptian wine in hand, Obelisk white is my favorite so far. I'm sailing on the Nile Dolphin but there are no dolphins in the u


Apart from breakfast the first item for the day was a feluca ride, a traditional Egyptian boat. Whilst relaxing for us it was a lot of work for the captain to be continually changing sails as we came back against the current. These industrious young boys rowed out to us using plywood scraps as their oars, asked what language we spoke and then sung to us.


[Image_6]

A lovely lady in our tour group very kindly lent me a swimsuit so I was able to take advantage of the roof top pool, after finishing my book. Then at 4:30pm we visited Komombo Temple. The carvings were a little different to what we had seen in other temples. The birthing scenes made me think of my friends at His House of Hope and all the women there giving birth so quietly. Apparently the birthing chairs had circular holes in them for the baby to come out through.




Attached to the temple is the Crocodile Museum, as the temple was for a crocodile god. The mummies of crocodiles didn't seem quite as freaky as the human mummies.


Tonight's evening activity is a traditional dress party, which has helped sales in the onboard shop. I also visited the jewellery shop today, I have some lovely silver earrings and I'm waiting for my cartouche to be engraved, with my name in hieroglyphics on it.

PS. This is what happens when your ship only has 40 passengers but a capacity of 150, at least it was a change from this morning's swan and a heart.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment