Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pyramids of Giza

Today, Monday was the first proper day of my tour of Egypt. We spent the morning at the pyramids of Giza, with a quick stop at the Sphinx. The texture of the pyramids amazed me, all the different sized blocks linking together. Their sheer enormity was also amazing. After a lunch stop for the best falafel ever, made with fava beans and the local version of a beef souvlaki, we headed to the Egyptian national museum. It's collection is incredible, beyond belief but unfortunately deteriorating as much of it isn't housed in protective cases. I can't begin to imagine how much gold there was there. The workmanship in each item was just incredible, from large coffins and statutes to jewellery.

As part of reacquainting myself with the modern world, I walked down the road from the hotel and found a Carrefour (French supermarket chain). It was fun but overwhelming to be in a proper supermarket. I won't need to buy any more snacks while here as I was a little excited by all the options!





posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment