Sunday, September 20, 2015

My Lima Bucket List

As I write I only have 9 days left in Lima, so I've been busy making sure I experience all that I want to in Lima I want to before I head south.

Last Monday Ria (my Dutch host) and I headed to Gamarra, the textiles and fabrics market, for my second visit. It reminds me a lot of Chinese markets, though there is not a lot of bargaining.






My main goal was to buy some alpaca yarn to make mittens with, for me to use in Patagonia. This is almost 100% pure alpaca abd only available at one shop. Surprisingly most of the yarn available in Peru is 100% acrylic. All the good stuff must be exported! I also bought some traditional Peruvian fabric and a Dutch soccer shirt for $4 (they didn't have Australian ones).


Ria bought 3 kilograms of stuffing, so we were a memorable sight on the train and then the bus.


On Thursday, through an amazing set of circumstances I was able to meet Rick a Dutch missionary who lives about ten hours away, he is the nephew of my friend Nellie from Launceston.

On Saturday Anne, another volunteer and I were very grateful to be invited to spend the night at the home of our colleagues, Elizabeth and Carlos. We had an amazing time! They each cooked a Peruvian meal for us and we visited their church, my first time to go to church on a Saturday night and to be given a name tag at the door. We went there in a mini van bus, something that was on my Lima bucket list.


Elizabeth's mum also cooked us mountain popcorn for breakfast and made us sample a local Anis liqueur.


Anne, Carlos, Elizabeth and me.


Peruvian style tamales, eaten in bread for breakfast, only on Sundays and special occasions. For us, served with a side of mountain popcorn.


A random photo, catching the bus home from Bravos Abiertos with Erna, Anne and Willem.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment