Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sol De La Molina

I've been very fortunate to be allowed to stay in an apartment normally utilised by Kids Alive International for their visiting teams. It feels very secure, with guards on the gates as you come off the main road, guards roaming on foot, bicycles and cars and then my building (like all others) is behind a locked gate. Living here has allowed me the opportunity to experience a little of the day to day life for wealthier Peruvians.



Living in the middle of a gravel desert means many people are desperate for some green. Cacti are planted on the edges of many streets.


Stumbled across this alpaca mowing the lawn of a nearby house. This is one of the few houses I've seen with a lawn out the front, most have it, if they have one, behind a locked gate.


I'm about 25 minutes walk to the local market, or 30 minutes to a western style supermarket.


Peruvians eat a lot of bread rolls, both in the morning and the evening. Bakeries open early but most are closed by 10am and don't open again until 4pm, with more freshly baked bread rolls. The little corner shops also sell fresh bead rolls. Most mornings I see a man on a motorbike delivering bread rolls around my neighborhood.


The cakes in the bakeries look amazing but don't taste so great. Except for a lime meringue pie I tried once, it was amazing!


The ice cream man cycles around selling ice creams. You know he is nearby by the sound of his horn, it sounds like an annoying bird call.


Another advantage of living in a fancier neighborhood is that our rubbish is collected six times a week. I appreciate this in a country where you can't flush the toilet paper. Before the rubbish is collected there are generally people who search through it, looking for recyclables they can sell.


Living in a more established neighborhood means that there are water pipes. In the less developed parts of La Molina you must have water delivered by one of these trucks, into your 1100 litre tank. I'm lucky to have hot water in my kitchen, as well as the shower.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment