Monday, November 2, 2015

Antofagasta, VIF reunion #1

This last weekend I took a detour from the tourist trail and visited one of my former VIF colleagues, Luis, in Antofagasta in the north of Chile. It is an interesting city, as the desert meets the ocean. I could see the ocean from his apartment building but yet directly behind me it was clearly the desert.

I was lucky enough to visit Luis's school, on Friday for their MYP expo and then this morning I visited with his sixth grade English class. After answering questions and sharing about Tasmania I made them fairy bread. It was declared, "Rico" (very delicious).


Those of you that know Luis won't be surprised to hear we went out to eat a lot. Great seafood and very strong Pisco Sours.


We saw the local major attractions,


La Portada, a natural monument.


The giant hand, in the middle of the desert 70kms south of Antofagasta. Apparently the other hand is in Uruguay.

We spent Sunday afternoon relaxing with friends at an international festival. There was lots of great international food and dancing but I enjoyed the empanadas and this Chilean singer the most. Of course, when he asked for a volunteer to dance Luis was very quick to respond.




posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment