Monday, November 9, 2015

Concepcion, Chile

On Friday I travelled six hours south of Santiago to spend the weekend with another VIF friend, Katty. It involved lots of talking, eating and sightseeing.


Katty's Mum baked me a traditional loaf of bread (pictured with Katty's daughter Isabella).


I sampled many kinds of empanadas and now know the secret to baking the best kind. We also had an amazing late lunch at a rustic restaurant in the country. It was located in the garden of a family's home. It was also the first time I've eaten soup with a knife and fork.



While visiting a handicrafts market we stumbled across some traditional dancers. I was asked to dance but Katty went in my place.


We celebrated my birthday with a yummy apple tart and "Happy Birthday" sung in Spanish and English. It was very special to be wished, in Spanish "Happy birthday, aunt" by a two year old. I also had a hot salt water bath by the ocean which was amazing!


Being based on a bay there were beautiful views everywhere we went.


On Sunday we toured a former coal mine. It was very interesting but sad to hear some of the stories.


This rope was used to keep the ten year olds working in the right spot...


Me in the mine with Katty's Dad and her niece, Haverina.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment