Monday, November 16, 2015

Bus travel and Mendoza

Last week was about lots of time on buses, thankfully long haul buses are very comfortable in Chile and Argentina. Monday was just over six hours as I traveled north from ConcepciĆ³n. In Santiago I was lucky enough to meet up with a friend of a friend who has stored some stuff for me and gave me a walking tour of the city centre.

Tuesday morning I headed to Mendoza, Argentina. This was an eight hour trip but two and a half hours of that was spent getting into Argentina. Customs took rather a long time going through the bags of some people on the bus. The drive up to the border was spectacular but I was glad I wasn't driving.



Wednesday I was honoured that some young women who had volunteered with us in Lima and are currently volunteering three hours away came to spend their day off with me. Thank you Megan, Mollie, Leah and Katrina.



Thursday I planned to go wine tasting but I wasn't feeling up to it. I did do the city bus tour, which wasn't that exciting but I learnt a little history. However I was impressed when my set choice lunch gave me the choice of water or wine and came with salad. Very different to the set menus I've experienced elsewhere in South America.



On my way back to the hotel I stumbled on the Melbourne Coffee Company cafe, which provided a much enjoyed touch of home.



Friday I set off on the longest bus trip of my travels, in the end it was just over 18 hours to get to Tandil. I had booked a "cama" seat, which is meant to be like a bed. This one wasn't quite flat but was comfortable enough that I slept for about 12 hours of the trip. Interestingly after being served lunch on the bus at 1.30pm at 10.30pm we took a 35 minute dinner break at a cafeteria. I'd eaten my snacks many hours before hand.


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment