Tuesday, August 4, 2015

My first week in La Molina, Lima, Peru

I arrived in Lima very late last Monday night and the next day was the first of two public holidays celebrating Peru's independence and also the beginning of winter school holidays. So I've had lots of time to get used to being here and learn my way around a little. The plan is to volunteer here for about two months before I begin heading south. I'm working at Brazos Abiertos, Open Arms, a ministry established by Ria and Jordi Bosch, missionaries from Holland.



Brazos Abiertos is located in a slum on the outskirts of La Molina, Lima. There are programs for children, youth and adults as well as a church. It's incredibly dusty there as Lima is surrounded by gravel hills. There seems to be a constant dusty haze here every day, even when the sun is out (it's winter here).


Singing at church being led by seventeen year old, Fabio from the jungle, living in Lima to get an education.


I've loved watching the kids learn how to use this recently donated play structure. As I push the kids on the swing we practise my counting in Spanish.


Electric taxi, holds three adults and a child quite easily, surprisingly!


I've loved getting around on the buses, they're very cheap and entertaining. Today was my first time to encounter someone selling on them, this guy sold a couple of recipe books. There are many bus companies, they all compete with each other for passengers by having the bus assistant call out for passengers. They vary their speed depending on how far ahead the next bus is. There are people at the bus stops who in return for a few cents tell them how far in front of them the next bus is. Though today I discovered if the driver goes to slow the passengers yell at the driver!


I've seen several clowns entertaining at long traffic lights, an interesting way to earn a living.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment