Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Canadian, Vancouver to Toronto

My four night, three day train trip from Vancouver to Toronto became a four day trip as Via Rail are constantly being made to have their trains wait for freight trains. I was meant to arrive at my friends by 2pm but instead it was 1am!

The train ride was quite interesting for the first two days but the delays meant we went through Manitoba in the dark and spent two days in the lakes and forests of northern Ontario.


The types of accommodation explained. Yes, the carriages were built in 1950 and refurbished for electricity in 1961! If I were to do it again I'd choose the roomette, as you can pull down your own bed any time you want!


My visit to Economy made me very grateful to have sleeping accommodation and its associated dining carriage.


This was my seat by day and it folded out at night, had a mattress added and a curtain to make a very comfortable sleeping space. When the steward made up the bed they even put a chocolate on your pillow.


My favorite dinner, meals were great. Three courses at lunch and dinner, four choices at each meal except for our "bonus" meals, the last dinner had no choice but given at lunch time the food manager was adamant we'd be off the train before dinner it was amazing we got three courses.


Pyramid Falls, British Columbia


Foothills, the Rockies. I felt like I was in Dotsero, Eagle Country, Colorado.


Fields in Saskatchewan.


Bison, was impressed the train slowed right down so we could photograph them.


Lake reflections, northern Ontario.

posted from Bloggeroid

2 comments: